Monday, May 7, 2018


May 7, 2018

Another school year has come and gone.  The time just continues to rush by. When I am able to sit and reflect, I am once again able to see that I had another wonderful year.   Moving classrooms for the 16th time and having 28 first graders kept me busier than usual, but I love to push forward, try new things, and dive in!   Every class, every year is a new adventure!

I raised my hand lickity-split when I heard that there was going to be a classroom redesign pilot program.  A few months back, the old furniture left and the new furniture was assembled in a weekend's time.   For everything I love about the new furniture, there are also concerns.  New bookcases and small math manipulative organizers are wonderful additions.  I stuck with traditional desks because my classroom is unable to have room for 28 low cubbies for our materials. If I could have been able to figure out a way to create a space for cubbies, I would have tried tables instead of desks.   A favorite of mine is my new kidney table that has a white board top to it.  It scratches easily and I am concerned about what it might look like in 10 years, but for now it is a wonderful tool while working with students in small groups.   My biggest concerns were/still are the idea of furniture with fabric.   Of course there is always the concern about lice in fabrics, but as a first grade teacher I worry about such light colored fabric and dirt from our shoes and clothing.   In first grade we also have bathroom "accidents".   Here is one of my brand new chairs damaged by a first grader and their "accidental" use of a Dry Erase marker. I am now a big fan of vinyl seating!  As I continue to move things around and figure out what works and doesn't work, I love my new room overall.  These new pieces from the pilot program mixed in with my own flexible seating (scoop chairs, video game loungers, crate seating, couches from Scholastic, etc.) create an inviting space for my students.  The ability to move and have various seating options, especially during small group instruction (Daily 5 and B.U.I.L.D. time has been key to our success!)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

Welcome!
Hi! I am Gena Wolfson. I have been teaching for 29 years! I have taught many grades, but first grade is where my heart sings! I am a happy wife, proud mother to Sara and Jack, scrapbooker, gardener, Disney lover and Southern California Native.